Wow I really wish I could stop this whole ‘vomiting in public 5 minutes after drinking more than a few ounces of water on an empty stomach’ thing because it is a real bummer
Since a bunch of people have asked, I’m training for a Spartan Race about five weeks from now, with an eye on Crossfit Games qualifying next year. For now, I’m doing a lot of running, a lot of muscle-endurance training, balance training, and a little bit of pure strength training.
This is week 1 of the final 6 leading up to the race:
***Monday - recovery run, 3 miles @ 7:30/mi pace, stretching and mobility
***Tuesday - core and legs, 3 mile FARTLEK
- 1 minute @ 9 min/mile pace
- 3 minutes @ 6 min/mile pace
Repeat for 3 miles.
***Wednesday - stretching and mobility, full-body foam rolling, self-myofacial release for tight hips, strength training (light day)
- 2 sets bench press, 5 reps @ 245 lbs.
- 2 sets weighted pull-ups (add 45 lbs. via chain belt), 5 reps/set
- 2 sets seated shoulder press, 5 reps @ 135 lbs.
- 2 sets seated cable row, 5 reps @ 250 lbs.
***Thursday - muscle and cardio endurance (Hell Day)
- 50 clean and presses @ 135 lbs.
- 5 circuits of: 10 deadlifts *clean the bar to squat rack*, then 10 back squats, all @ 155 lbs.
So that’s 50 clean and presses, 50 deadlifts, and 50 squats, completed for time; finished in 25:45.
***Friday - core, recovery run, balance training
- 2-3 circuits of hanging leg raises, v-ups, jackknives, Bosu crunches, back extensions
- 5 mile run @ 8 min/mile pace, 7.5% incline (treadmill, obvz)
- Stability board balance circuits
***Saturday - stretching and mobility, soccer
***Sunday - legs (posterior chain)
- 50 deadlifts @ 225 lbs.
- 50 squats @ 225 lbs.
- 100 Kettlebell swings @ 24 kg. (52.8 lbs.)
Complete for time, then foam roll and stretch.
Cry me some of those sweet, sweet tears, Pittsburgh. Your hurt sustains me.
Cool story, bro.
Flat shoes like Vans and Chucks are perfect for deadlifts. Try them in running shoes sometime and let me know when you’re out of traction.
assume that someone was me.