Since a bunch of people have asked, I’m training for a Spartan Race about five weeks from now, with an eye on Crossfit Games qualifying next year. For now, I’m doing a lot of running, a lot of muscle-endurance training, balance training, and a little bit of pure strength training.
This is week 1 of the final 6 leading up to the race:
***Monday - recovery run, 3 miles @ 7:30/mi pace, stretching and mobility
***Tuesday - core and legs, 3 mile FARTLEK
- 1 minute @ 9 min/mile pace
- 3 minutes @ 6 min/mile pace
Repeat for 3 miles.
***Wednesday - stretching and mobility, full-body foam rolling, self-myofacial release for tight hips, strength training (light day)
- 2 sets bench press, 5 reps @ 245 lbs.
- 2 sets weighted pull-ups (add 45 lbs. via chain belt), 5 reps/set
- 2 sets seated shoulder press, 5 reps @ 135 lbs.
- 2 sets seated cable row, 5 reps @ 250 lbs.
***Thursday - muscle and cardio endurance (Hell Day)
- 50 clean and presses @ 135 lbs.
- 5 circuits of: 10 deadlifts *clean the bar to squat rack*, then 10 back squats, all @ 155 lbs.
So that’s 50 clean and presses, 50 deadlifts, and 50 squats, completed for time; finished in 25:45.
***Friday - core, recovery run, balance training
- 2-3 circuits of hanging leg raises, v-ups, jackknives, Bosu crunches, back extensions
- 5 mile run @ 8 min/mile pace, 7.5% incline (treadmill, obvz)
- Stability board balance circuits
***Saturday - stretching and mobility, soccer
***Sunday - legs (posterior chain)
- 50 deadlifts @ 225 lbs.
- 50 squats @ 225 lbs.
- 100 Kettlebell swings @ 24 kg. (52.8 lbs.)
Complete for time, then foam roll and stretch.